[Grok-dev] publishing the sphinx driven documentation

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Fri Jun 13 18:28:24 EDT 2008

+1 on "official documentation" and "community documentation".

If we explain on the site the distinction is official docs are maintained
from release to release, while contributions to community documentation is
not beholden to this task, then that makes a good distinction.

+1 on /doc/

Python uses /doc/ as it's Documentation home page, but we already have
/documentation/ for this. I propose we use /doc/ to do what Python does
at /doc/versions/, which is provide an index of the versions of the
official documentation builds we have released. This gives us:

/documentation/ <- home page to all docs
/documentation/*x* <- pages to assorted community docs
/doc/ <- index of all official docs
/doc/current <- symlink to the latest release
/doc/0.13 <- docs for a particular release

Yes, we do want to specify /doc/current/ for the newest released docs.
If we had the latest docs inside /doc/*x* then we would be
"mixing the namespaces" - which I've heard can have similar effects
as "crossing the streams" has in Ghostbusters.