[Grok-dev] Re: SVN: Sandbox/ulif/grokintrospector/ Create a sandbox for Grok-related introspector stuff.

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Tue Jun 17 13:59:35 EDT 2008

Hi Philipp,

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Uli Fouquet wrote:
> > Log message for revision 87456:
> >   Create a sandbox for Grok-related introspector stuff.
> >
> > Changed:
> >   A   Sandbox/ulif/grokintrospector/
> >
> > -=-
> > Copied: Sandbox/ulif/grokintrospector (from rev 87455, grok/trunk)
>

> Hey Uli,
>
> cool to see you work on this stuff! I'm just wondering why you're
> ignoring our convention that we have regarding branches and put this
> stuff into your sandbox. I think it's much clearer for everybody else to
> see your work and give you feedback on it if it were in grok/branches
> (where we normally put branches). If you're worried about committing
> "unfinished" stuff, don't worry, that's what branches are there for :)

It is not sure, whether this stuff will ever make its way into `grok`.
As I am at the same time decoupling grok.admin from grok and moving it
to another package ('grokadmin'), this new package will be the final
destination of what is currently happening in grok.admin.introspector.
grok.admin.introspector will become grokadmin.introspector.

> Thanks!
>
> Philipp
>

> P.S.: I'm also a bit confused about the 'grokadmin' package. It seems to
> be w/o a namespace.

grokadmin will be a normal grok application like the ones in grokapps.
Therefore I think it is okay to have no namespace here. Into which
namespace should it go then?

>  It also seems that it contains a copy of grok as
> well. We usually work with branches and externals in this case (because
> then we can adhere to our branches convention mentioned above).

I am aware of this habit and do use it as you can for example see in the
grokintrospector package, which makes use of the new zope.introspector
package by external reference. The reason I didn't use an external
reference here is, that I cannot use the 'official' grok package (as,
for example, it still has the grok.admin package, that should vanish,
etc.). I need a modified grok version for testing.

While thinking about it, I might create a new admin-less grok-branch,
and then reference that by svn:external.

Hope that helps you to understand my decisions and thanks for the hints.

Best regards,

--
Uli