[Grok-dev] Re: SVN: Sandbox/ulif/grokintrospector/ Create a sandbox for Grok-related introspector stuff.

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Fri Jun 20 20:11:51 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> writes:
>

> >   megrok.admin
> >   megrok.autocrud
> >   megrok.introspector
> >

> Are we imagining, therefore, that sometime in the near future a
> newly-created "grokproject" might list several dependencies - say, both
> 'grok' and 'megrok.admin'? - and that by taking some of them out a Grok
> user could opt out of features that we want available by default for
> people getting started with Grok?
>
> That would be great.

Glad to hear that :-) Yes, that's what we're talking about. A plain
version is already running and the whole stuff is supposed to be
released with the 0.14 release. That's also part of my Summer of Code
project, so you won't have to wait forever :-)

I am currently discussing the namespace question and the current status
is, that the 'external' UI will go into grokui.admin,
grokui.introspector... That was Martijns last proposal and I like it
very much after thinking about it.

What we still lack is a story to integrate the different starter,
development and deployment scenarios better. While the admin UI might be
unwanted or even dangerous in production environments, starters with
Grok certainly appreciate the immediate view of an (hopefully) easy to
understand UI.

To switch between those use cases one could of course modify the
setup.py and run buildout, but you will then have to do this every time
a new release of an application is released, you must not forget it,
etc. Sounds a bit dangerous.

But this is a topic we might care for later (well, that shouldn't hinder
anyone with a good idea to speak up now :-)

Kind regards,

--
Uli