[Grok-dev] Grok on Python 2.5

Reed O'Brien reed at reedobrien.com
Thu Jun 26 16:17:40 EDT 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We need a plan for Grok on Python 2.5. There have been reports that
> it works, possibly reports of failures. We know that the Zope 3 eggs
> are supposed to work on Python 2.5, so moving to Python 2.5
> shouldn't be that hard.

I have been using 2.5 (nothing deployed only toys and sandboxes).
Several tests fail. I cannot tell you which ones right now.  ANd a
couple things I have tried had '3rd party' modules which didn't work
with 2.5. (I also can't say which right now.)

> We need a plan of transition though. There is some potential
> coordination difficulty:
>
> * Zope 3 hasn't officially gone to Python 2.5 yet. I'll ask that list.
>
> * Zope 2 is still on Python 2.4. Summer of code work is reporting
> good success with Python 2.5.
>
> We don't *have* to coordinate with the other Zope-based platforms
> but it'd be good nonetheless if we did.
>
> Would we then support Python 2.4 and Python 2.5 for a while? Or just
> jump to Python 2.5 immediately? Would we allow Python 2.5-isms in
> our code?

I am +1 for moving to 2.5 and not worrying so much about 2.4

Ubuntu ships with 2.5, OSX leopard does and I am sure the next RHEL
will too.

> Ideas? Recommendations?

I think effort at supporting 2.4 for too long will leave us behind the
curve before 1.0.