[Grok-dev] Re: STORM howto

Fernando Correa Neto fcdoth at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:08:41 EDT 2008

Hey,

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > SQLAlchemy has that option and it is extremely useful for testing: your
>  > test fixture can setup a sqlite in-memory database and tell SQLAlchemy
>  > to create the tables and indexes in something like two lines of code and
>  > you're off.
>
>  That's indeed useful. Of course you can do this by directly sending
>  create table statements too, but it'll be harder to port your code to
>  another database.

Indeed. But I'd say that in at least for me, 80% of the projects I've
worked with SQL, the database scripts were generated by DBA's by tools
that were made for that purpose and were present in the industry for
years. IOW, very specialized tools.
And at the end of the day, we developers, would be *only* responsible
for plugging the webapp into *their* model.
So yes, sometimes you have different scenarios that you'd want to
create complex database models and sometimes you don't. You just want
to create the not so complex model that you can maintain on your
python code.
IMHO, ORM's try to make it simple by turning very complex joins for
instance into simple, and readable, python statements and thus making
the webapp developer's life easier on that end and most of them, can
do that :).

Regards,
Fernando