[Grok-dev] Re: STORM howto

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Mar 16 10:06:19 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>>> Cool to see so much work going on. Is one of those libraries just a
>>> Python library that integrates schemas with SQLAlchemy, or is this all
>>> mixed with other stuff?
>> I'm pretty sure collective.tin and collective.mercury are intended to be
>> standalone.
>
> Having glanced at collective.mercury, I see it does code generation. I
> was hoping it generated schemas from tables at run-time (and was
> wondering how it took care of some of the initialization complexities
> involved), but instead it generates Python modules.
 >
> I don't like code generation much...

 From what I understand, collective.mercury was intended as a
bootstrapping solution to get schemata. However, it took the
table-to-schema generation from Alchemist which does it all at runtime,
so you should be able to just use that bit and keep the schema in memory
and skip the serialise-to-Python part. Laurence should be able to tell
you more, though.

> (the license is also GPL, which I'd like to avoid for Grok)
>
> collective.tin has dependencies on Plone. At first glance, it looks like
> the implementation of a Zope 2 containerish thing similar to Christian's
> work on the Storm container to Grok. Not immediately useful to Grok,
> though perhaps the experiences there are of use.

I think that's probably true. I think Laurence said he was interested in
refactoring it so that the basic containerish stuff works in plain Zope
3 with only a thinner Zope 2 integration layer.

Martin