[Grok-dev] Re: STORM howto

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 21:04:47 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey Laurence,
>
> Thanks for participating in this discussion!
>
> Laurence Rowe wrote:
>> (wasn't sure what list I was being cc'ed into ;-)
>
> [snip]
>> collective.mercury takes the `transmutation` part of Alchemist for
>> creating zope schemas from sqlalchemy metadata and writes out the
>> schemas,]
>
> You do generate the schemas in memory and then write them out? What
> prompted the decision to write them out?

So I could see them and then more easily know how to subclass them - for
instance I needed to change the types of some fields (e.g. choice
instead of int, validators). Actually, recently I've moved away a bit
from the whole SQL first approach, mainly because I've changed database
twice in the past month.

Starting now I would probably hack around with the declaritive stuff to
work out how to annotate the field info to the Column definitions and
autogenerate if not supplied.

> [snip]
>
> [collective.lead]
>> strictly zodb3 is not required, only transaction. The elro-tpc branch
>> will become 2.0 fairly soon. It pulls together some work done by
>> bitranch using scoped sessions and supporting the MyClass.query magic
>> and automatically associating new instances with sessions as well as
>> adding twophase and savepoint support. I just need to do a bit of
>> tidying up before I merge to trunk.
>
> I'm not sure what features you're referring to here; I'm not that
> familiar with SQLAlchemy. Are scoped sessions and MyClass.query magic
> both SQLAlchemy features? Would you recommend a new project starts with
> this branch?

ScopedSessions provide per thread sessions and are a good thing.
Randomly they also seem to provide the option (using a special
session.mapper) to annotate your original class with information about
which metadata/session they belong too. Thinking again, I don't
recommend you use them. Too much magic. I've moved it to an experimental
module for now.

The more I think of it, I would limit the IDatabase interface to
session, engine and connection. It seems that the declarative approach
is to keep metadata separate. This should allow for having multiple
sites with their own databases using the same code for mappers.

> Could you explain how collective.lead is better than z3c.sqlalchemy and
> z3c.zalchemy? :)

It does less. I found it easier to understand and therefore extend to
add twophase/savepoint support.

tx.py is now completely self contained. So you can use that without the
IDatabase stuff if you wish.

Yes, see: http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/04/plugins.html#plugins_declarative

>> It'd be really nice to see collective.tin work with grok. I don't
>> think it should be too tricky to make it work.
>
> Okay, so far the heavy integration with Plone I saw in places of the
> codebase worry me. Grok would only need a container type - I'm not sure
> about the factories and we'd have to do a lot of integration work before
>  the form bases would be right for us. The workflow support and base
> classes are not interesting. Given this integration and the state of the
> tests you mention I'd be tempted to write something new, especially
> given the amount of dis-integration with Plone that would need to be
> done before collective.tin would be useful outside a Plone environment.

Apart from the workflow, forms and base classes which are just not
applicable, I'd reckon the plone/cmf/zope2 specific stuff is limited to
about 50 lines of python.

container.py - 80% zope3 applicable. Only the base classes are
redundant. All of the logic is in the adapters anyway.

controller.py - only 1 line uses acquisition, rest is zope3 applicabl

deletion.py - all zope3 (note that the simple delete the row from the
table version is currently left as an excercise to the reader)

dublincore.py - not applicable

factory.py - all zope3 applicable apart from 1 line, just the localizer,
I was too lazy to use my own!

form.py - logic should be the same (deferring to factory.py and
controller.py adapters), but these are UI facing so have become plone
dependant as I polished.

history.py - versioning - about 3 or 4 aq calls, rest zope3 applicable

item.py - these are just zope2/cmf compatible base classes, you can just
use object I think.

keytool.py - name/primary key conversion - all zope3

objectmanager.py - not applicable

reindex.py - all zope3

utils.py - the wrapsetup function would need changing. Probably:

def wrapsetup(ob, parent):
     ob.__parent__ = parent
     intermediary = IIntermediary(ob, ob) # fallback to ob
     keytool = IKeyTool(parent)
     ob.__name__ = keytool.keys2name(primary_key_tuple(intermediary))
     return ob

vocabulary.py - all zope3

workflow.py - not applicable. (Though a zope3 compatible DCWorkflow
would be great!)

Having said that, if you just want one folder with items in a table in
it then start again, tin is just too complex if you only want to handle
that use case - the complexity and lines of code come not in the zope2
compatibility (that is all fairly well contained) but in the support for
plugable strategies for naming and versioning. It's designed to be
flexible enough for a SQL first approach where you don't own the
database you are interfacing with.

Yep, no tests yet. No longer having an intern on the project I'll be
writing some now ;-) Seriously though, this seems easier now I can get
sqlite to work (hint: don't use the ancient version that comes with os x
10.4)

There is certainly a lack of documentation on it. Unfortunately I think
I'm too bogged down in my project to do much about it at the moment. I'm
very willing to help anyone else who wants to make use of it though. I'm
normally on irc during the day.

SQLAlchemy is very well documented though, and extremely powerful. The
whole sql dialect abstraction layer is wonderful and saves your bacon
when someone decides to move your project from postgresql to oracle to
sql server.

Laurence