[Grok-dev] Re: Salt & z3c.autoinclude

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Mar 21 11:47:41 EDT 2008

Hey,

Good work! Some comments.

Ethan Jucovy wrote:
[snip]
> but the entry points look a bit different.  Instead of
>
> [z3c.plugin]
> target = plone
>
> it looks like
>
> [z3c.autoinclude.plugin]
> plone = myplugin.package
>
> As I understand entry points, this is necessary, because an entry point
> does not contain any information about the package that provided it (so
> you need to spell it out explicitly somewhere) and because the
> right-hand side of the entry point is supposed to refer to an importable
> python object.

My understanding of entry points is limited, but I'm reading up on it now.

I don't see that you should have to spell out the dotted name of the
plugin package though: I see entry points contain a 'dist' attribute.
Couldn't you use this information?

The right hand side needing something importable seems like a more
troublesome problem. Then again, a plugin to an application will almost
certainly have a dependency on that package, so a plugin for Plone will
depend on Plone and import things from it. This means we could do the
following:

[z3c.autoinclude.plugin]
target = package.plugged.into

For plone (if it's in 'plone.app'):

[z3c.autoinclude.plugin]
target = plone.app

(note that I think 'target' is a better name than 'basepackage').