[Grok-dev] Some questions about setup and apps

Kamon Ayeva kamon.ayeva at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 07:01:39 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I am trying to answer the following questions about how a newbie
developer uses Grok, in terms of setup.
I think we should have this kind of summarized information in the
documentation section with pointers to the more detailed
howtos/tutorials.
And I would be glad to help on that, once I get the complete overview.

* To deploy a Grok environment, you need to install Grok (generally
using zc.buildout).
Once the Grok buildout is installed, you can start a project using
grokproject. This brings the start code for the developer to define an
Application (with its content and views) to the project.

Questions: Can I serve several apps on the same Grok server ? I mean
same machine and same port ?
Or do I need to have several servers (which means each on its port)
and play with Apache virtual hosting ?
Maybe there is an advanced setup that helps solve this issue ?

* To install dependancies, I install their eggs using the
install_requires parameter in the setup.py at the root of the buildout
folder...

* A developer can find sample applications to install here
http://svn.zope.org/grokapps/

Questions: Is there a process for releasing Sample Apps as eggs ? Or
do we need to install them in their contained environment ? If that's
the case, we come back to my previous question, i.e. can you have 2
apps served by the same Grok instance ? And can you even mix two apps
?

Thanks you for your help.
Kamon