[Grok-dev] Re: on the name "Grok"

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu May 1 07:21:25 EDT 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> On 30 Apr 2008, at 15:41 , Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen
>> <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
>>> Sure. I'm just being realistic, perhaps a bit pessimistic about how
>>> much of
>>> this will actually be implemented. But you're right, that shouldn't
>>> discourage anybody from setting larger goals and trying to reach them.
>>
>> Well, much of it is just a matter of copy-pasting. :) You copy the
>> test from Grok, and then copy the right code, either from Grok or from
>> Five and often a bit of both, to make it work. The trick i to know
>> what code to copy.
>
> I think copy'n'pasting is exactly what we want to avoid.

I think copy and pasting has its place, as long as it's not the end
result. It's a good start to learn what needs to be modified, and to get
a situation ripe for future refactoring. This way we'll hopefully get
some idea on how to make our existing Grokkers flexible enough so that
they can be adapted (subclassed?) for a Zope 2 purpose.