[Grok-dev] Re: Python UK meeting and Django

Reed O'Brien reed at reedobrien.com
Wed May 7 10:59:53 EDT 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

>> I have a slight guess that some novices probably expect "grokproject"
>> to be a script that comes with "grok", until they realize that it's
>> its own module rather than just being something that "comes with" the
>> "grok" module itself.
>
> Hm. We could add a dependency to 'grokproject' to 'grok', so that
> it'll appear even if you do the wrong thing. You'd have to sit
> through all the downloads again when you first run grokproject, but
> least you can proceed.
>
> Are there any drawbacks to this idea? It's just covering all the
> bases; I wouldn't propose that this way to install things would in
> any way become official.

I think the current method of starting a new project with grokproject
works wonderfully. Any projects I work on in grok usually end up
managed with zc.buildout.

I thin kdocumenting that one should install grokproject and NOT grok
via easy_install is enough.  If people don't read enough documentation
to see that they probably won't read deep enough to understand to use
grokproject after running easy_install grok.

~ro