[Grok-dev] Re: How are viewlets better than macros?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu May 8 10:53:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> I don't know where that term came from, but it's basically the layout around
> the main content bit. With pagelets, you can just specify the main content
> bit and have a layout thingy wrap itself around it. Quite similar to the
> pipelines story we've been discussing in some ways.

I find the term very strange, as it sounds like it is some sort of
lightweight page, which in fact, it is not.
It's a workable solution, but I wonder firstly why pagelets are
needed? Can't the content rendering be done by a viewletmanager that
renders the content?

Secondly, how does this work with existing non-pagelet views? I'm
guessing the design can be implemented by letting the layout template
simply render the normal page standard-macro? You wouldn't want to
have to implement the design twice. :)

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64