[Grok-dev] Re: issue #226555: viewlet.url() and how to solve it

Kevin Smith kevin at mcweekly.com
Thu May 8 12:37:40 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
>> See https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/226555
>
>> The current url() methods on viewlets and viewletmanagers are broken.
>> They apparently returns incorrect URLs, the code is duplicated all
>> over the place, and on the trunk these methods have not been updated
>> according the updates the view.url() got during the Grokkerdam sprint
>> and there're no tests.
>
> A correct summary of what's wrong. :)
>
>> I assigned myself to the issue and I've been working on a fix for a
>> bit, but I need your help.
>>
>> Let me try to summarize my thinking:
>>
>> The url() methods for viewletmanagers and viewlets should return
>> basically *identical* URLs to what the url() method on a regular view
>> for the same object would return.
>>
>> * Question: is this interpretation of the issue correct?
>
> That is my interpretation. I'd like someone more experienced about
> viewlets to chip in on this, though.
That would be my interpretation as well. Zope3 viewlets inherit
BrowserView not BrowserPage, so a zope.viewlet does not have it's own
url. So any urls referenced should point to the parent view.

Without a view.url method, one has to type...

<a tal:attributes="href python:view.__parent__.__parent__.url(obj): />

With a view.url method....

<a tal:attributes="href python:view.url(obj)" />

Just like we always do in grok. When I started using viewlets alot, I
found for myself needing access to all the great power tools that are in
grok.View. AFAIK Darryl Cousin's in his own work, extracted these out
into a base class for inclusion in his version of viewlets. So one
possibility is to put all of the power methods in ViewBase (is that
being used for anything) as a mixin.

Thinking out loud, it may be possible in a viewlet to map the 'view'
namespace directly to the parent view and then supply a 'viewlet'
namespace that maps directly to the viewlet.

>> * Related question: during the sprint someone expressed the desire
>> for a way to construct URLs to individual viewlets. How does that
>> relate to this issue? Or should we ignore this for now?
>
> Ignore this for now; viewlets don't really have URLs (yet) in Grok
> anyway.
+1, this is muddying up the issue and it is really a separate case. I
propose implementing a new type of viewlet to signify such extended
functionality, like ViewletPage or something.