[Grok-dev] Re: when "trunk" becomes a distribution point: disaster?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed May 14 06:00:46 EDT 2008

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
>> I note that lots of projects, including Grok's trunk, pull
>> "bootstrap.py" directly from its "trunk", which is what my "buildout"
>> introduction web page suggests as well.  Is this wise?  Should it
>> instead have a "tags/current" or "branches/current-release" directory
>> that's copied to each time a new stable version comes out?  It seems
>> that the current arrangement makes it impossible to do any development
>> on "trunk" like a normal project, because the "trunk" version is the
>> one that every needs to keep working.
>
> +1.  I have already seen buildout scripts for RelStorage that rely on
> the trunk.  Those dependencies limit my freedom to explore and I think I
> may remove the trunk directory from Subversion.  That isn't the only
> reason for me to remove the trunk, however: after working with Mercurial
> for a while, branching and merging make a lot more sense to me and the
> concept of a trunk no longer seems useful.

I *think* Brandon was talking about relying on bootstrap.py from the
buildout trunk directly. I agree we should either rely on the tag, or
simply copy a version of bootstrap.py into our own directory. The latter
has the benefit of simplicity. No more mistakes 'cd'-ing into the
directory (which is needed for an external) and running bootstrap from
there, creating a buildout in the wrong place.