[Grok-dev] Re: local roles and REST

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat May 17 14:41:52 EDT 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Looking at how grok.REST is implemented (see components.py), it
>>> exactly fails to set __parent__ in its __init__. What it should do is:
>>>
>>>   self.context = self.__parent__ = context
>>
>> Thanks for looking into this. I also suspected it was a missing
>> __parent__ reference somewhere. But Whit still needs to produce a
>> failing test case so we can go and fix this. :)
>
> It actually wasn't that hard to come up with that failing test case, so
> I went ahead and fixed it on the trunk and the 0.12 branch.

Thanks!

> P.S.: Do we still support the 0.11 branch? I didn't merge the fix there,
> having made the assumption that there won't be any 0.11.x releases...
> Right?

Good question. I think we don't want to support too many branches. We've
had several people who *did* want older branches (all the way to 0.10 I
think?) supported, however.

I myself have the perspective that we should encourage people to switch
to newer versions of Grok, and try to maintain a stable branch only of
the most recent stable release. Even with some of our internal changes
to Grokkers this shouldn't currently be a very hard demand.

If there are volunteers who want to maintain older branches however and
make releases, they're welcome to help out.