[Grok-dev] Re: Making an egg bundle for Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat May 17 19:28:53 EDT 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
[snip]
> Actually, why not ship *one* tarball with both source and Win32 eggs?
> With just a couple of packages that have C extensions, the additional
> space and network usage required by a slightly fatter tarball should be
> acceptable.

That's a very good idea. setuptools will take care to install the right
one on the right platform automatically.

>> The download recipe also needs to be able to know it's downloading on
>> windows and then somehow download the windows versions. The
>> buildout.cfg shouldn't have a different URL as a result though, as
>> then it'd not be portable. So that's a bit tricky, as now the whole
>> URL to the eggs is included. Ideas?
>
> Right. Which is why I think just having one tarball is much easier. The
> locally running buildout would then (automatically, I think) decide
> whether to install from source or from binary.

Yes, you're right, that's why it's such a great idea.

Okay, Maurits, we need a way to generate a source + win binary tarball.
We could still generate this tarball on Linux or wherever else we want,
as long as it knows to go and fetch the win eggs too. Is there a way to
coerce the bundle generator so it'll do that for us?