[Grok-dev] Re: SQLAlchemy integration

Santiago Videla santiago.videla at gmail.com
Tue May 20 01:21:32 EDT 2008

Hey

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> Santiago Videla wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I'm trying the rdbexample app from the branch, but I got an error:
>>> http://codedumper.com/oraxo
>>>
>>> seems to be something deprecated on collective.lead, I don't understand
>>> what the error is.

answer to myself: I realize that collective.lead should work with SQLAlchemy
0.3, I guess that this is the reason for the error.

But I don't understand why it should work the rdbexample from the grokapps
repo, any special instructions?

>>> Any advice about where to start fixing ?
>>>

>> Hm, this is a mystery to me. What kind of relational database are you
>> using? So far we've only tested with PostgreSQL.
>>
>> Ideally the *right* fix would be to dump the dependency on collective.lead
>> and move to zope.sqlalchemy.

I really want to work on this, but I don't understand all the parts yet. For
the moment, I got something similar to your post but using zope.sqlalchemy.
not big deal.

> Bear in mind that collective.lead itself will be using zope.sqlalchemy for
> transaction integration, and focus on providing a pattern for registering
> and accessing database utilities. If Grok needs/wants such a pattern,
> collective.lead should continue to be a viable solution. If it wants/needs
> its own way of looking up and managing database connections, then obviously
> not.

I'm not sure to understand Martin.

I thought that zope.sqlalchemy was born to unify all the developments on
sqlalchemy integration (collective.lead included). am I right?

I'm really newbie on Zope3 and Grok, so maybe I will understand your point
in some time

cheers

> Martin
>
> --
> Author of `Professional Plone Development`, a book for developers who
> want to work with Plone. See http://martinaspeli.net/plone-book

Santiago Videla
www.revolucionesweb.com.ar
http://www.linkedin.com/in/svidela

Sigue la mata dando de que hablar siempre abajo y a la izquierda donde el
pensamiento que se hace corazón resplandece con la palabra sencilla y
humilde que l at s tod at s somos.