[Grok-dev] About "Placing your Grok project under version control"

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Thu May 29 13:28:01 EDT 2008

"Luciano Ramalho" <luciano at ramalho.org> writes:

> I was reading the document "Placing your Grok project under version
> control" and it provides two alternatives for managing the
> bootstrap.py script (installing in your development system or checking
> it in with your project). But using svn:externals is not mentioned.

I forgot about it, that's why it was not listed. :-)

I'm told that the new grokproject will put a copy of bootstrap.py in
every grok project from now on, so hopefully the other alternatives can
disappear from that HowTo entirely.  There was also a suggestion on the
mailing list, which I was in favor of, of teaching grokproject to know
both how to create a new project, and also of how to buildout an
existing project.  That way we wouldn't have to teach people "use
grokproject to start but then run bin/buildout from then on to keep
going", but they could just re-run grokproject every time.  But, I think
that proposal kind of fizzled (though someone suggested that the new
paste-based grokproject we'll get someday would maybe do this already?)
so maybe it will not happen.