[Grok-dev] grokproject/buildout problems

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Thu Sep 4 11:46:49 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Maurits van Rees wrote:

> Martijn Faassen, on 2008-09-03:

[snip]

> > * "Download error: unknown url type: svn -- Some packages may not be
> > found!". non-urgent but very long standing and confuses people
>
> setuptools shows this message.  One of the packages has an svn url
> in setup.py, which shows up in the egg index as possible download
> location.  I don't think there is much we can do about that, except
> not make that mistake again ourselves.
>
> Ah, in this case lovely.recipe is the culprit.  The 0.3.1b1 and
> 0.3.1b5 home pages point to svn. See:
> http://pypi.python.org/simple/lovely.recipe

[snip]

The latest release of ``lovely.recipe`` (finally) has the svn link
replaced by a http-link. However, in the long run, I think that
``lovely.recipe`` is a bit 'overdressed' for our purposes. We want only
some i18n-scripts to be generated and get a bunch of extra functionality
nobody uses. Beside this we get lots of unnecessary dependencies.

Looking over svn.zope.org, there is the ``z3c.recipe.i18n`` maintained
by Roger Ineichen which confines itself to do i18n-stuff. Looks like
what we really want. Unfortunately I could not find it in the PyPI
repository although an approriate URL in setup.py is set. As a result
buildout fails to download the recipe. If this recipe would be on PyPI,
I'd think about switching to it.

Are there any reasons against doing so?

How can we motivate Roger to publish the code on PyPI?

Best regards,

--
Uli