[Grok-dev] grokproject/buildout problems

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Tue Sep 9 06:29:46 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 21:48, Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> wrote:
> > [...]
> > Maurits van Rees wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> I am personally in favour of i18ndude, as that is what I have used in
> >> all my Plone projects.  It has the same base as z3c.recipe.i18n,
> >> namely the scripts from zope.all.locales.
> >
> > Interesting. It pulls in `plone.i18n`, right? Although this is a very
> > Zope 3 compliant package, I am not sure whether we like to have the
> > `plone` namespace in Grok.
>
> Personally I'd be thrilled to have a plone namespace package as
> dependency. For Zope and Grok it'd reinforce the fact that we are able
> to reuse packages from other (although admitedly close) communities,
> and for Plone it'd reinforce the message that their packages are
> usable outside their ecosystem.

Hm, this does not convince me completely. I think your argument is a bit
symbolic: we give a sign that plone.xxx is usable with Grok. But not all
plone.xxx packages are usable out-of-the-box and another symbolic
side-effect could be that developers would expect _every_ plone.xxx
package to be usable as it is. This might mean trouble.

Please don't get me wrong: I am happy that some packages from different
ecosystems collaborate with Grok nicely. I'd only say that we don't have
to prefer Plone over z3c packages only to show the world that we can do
it :-)

But back to the topic: Roger Ineichen just published `z3c.recipe.i18n`
on PyPI :-) So we could just use it and get rid of `lovely.recipe`. I'd
love to see it in `grokproject`. If there are no technical objections,
I'd check the approriate changes in.

> The only problem with plone.i18n is its GPL license:
> https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.i18n/trunk/docs/LICENSE.txt

Yes, that's a problem at least for the Grok core.

Best regards,

--
Uli