[Grok-dev] grokproject/buildout problems

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Mon Sep 22 08:47:25 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Martijn Faassen wrote:

[...]

> * "Download error: unknown url type: svn -- Some packages may not be
> found!". non-urgent but very long standing and confuses people

This should be fixed with a new `grokproject` release due to the switch
to `z3c.recipe.i18n` :-)

[...]

> * One thing I notice is a lot of duplication of messages:
>
> Getting distribution for 'z3c.recipe.eggbasket==0.3.1'.
> Getting distribution for 'z3c.recipe.eggbasket==0.3.1'.
> Got z3c.recipe.eggbasket 0.3.1.
> Got z3c.recipe.eggbasket 0.3.1.
>
> basically all messages are duplicated (and these are a lot of
> messages!). Why? Needs to be fixed

With introduction of `eggbasket` we started to call
`zc.buildout.buildout.main()` several times in `grokproject`.
Unfortunately `zc.buildout` adds a new logging handler (stream to
`sys.stdout`) each time it is called (and does not remove it after the
work is done). As a result we get every buildout message two or three
times, depending on the amount of times `buildout.main()` was called
before.

I added a function to remove those leftover handlers 'manually', which
fixes that behaviour of duplicated lines. The fix might of course be
improvable.

[...]

> * Even after this it takes forever, still not outputting what it is
> doing. I happen to be on a slow network right now so I probably notice
> these problems more quickly. When I run grokproject twice while in the
> same virtualenv, starting without .buildout directory, grokproject
> *does* run quickly the same time. I wonder what causes this...

After downloading `zc.buildout` and installing `eggbasket` in
`grokproject` we run buildout with the '-q' option. Maybe we should make
the output visible? Or at least respect any verbosity options passed to
buildout?

Kind regards,

--
Uli