[Grok-dev] grokui.admin referenced twice in generated versions.cfg

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Apr 10 14:57:41 EDT 2009

Hey,

Uli Fouquet wrote:
[snip]
>> At first glance I'd prefer a simpler approach of simply updating a file
>> somewhere compared to adding a snippet.
>
> You mean some URL, like grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/... ?

Yes. Or creating a new such URL by making a new Grok release.

>> That way it's easy to reason
>> about your versions.cfg - it's going to be the same as the one in the
>> URL, unless you change something. What would be the advantage of
>> grokproject doing this?
>
> grokproject indeed fetches the latest versions.cfg from grok.zope.org.
> But it adds some stuff not needed with stock grok or only with special
> grok instances, the eggbasket recipe version for instance, or the paster
> eggs. This makes grokproject more independent from Grok releases,
> because you do not have to wait for a new Grok (and accompanied
> versions.cfg) if you want a new eggbasket recipe to be used. Beside
> this, I fully agree.

I don't think it's right for grokproject to defer to versions.cfg except
for *some* stuff where it suddenly decides on versions itself baked into
the grokproject release.

So either we maintain this version in the master versions.cfg (and just
release a new version of Grok when we want people to move onto a new
version of grokui.admin).

Alternatively we come up with some concept of an extra set of versions
that can be maintained independently that just contains the versions for
grokui.admin, or megrok.whatever, etc. grokproject would then combine
multiple such lists into a single list somehow. I think that an
infrastructure for this is needed eventually, as any library built on
Grok (not just grokui.admin) has similar issues if it is composed out of
multiple packages. But perhaps for simplicity's sake for now we should
stick to Grok releases and Grok's versions.cfg.

So, for now, I'd suggest when we do a new grok release we simply update
the grokui.admin version in it if necessary. And if there are big
changes in grokui.admin we everybody to see, we make a new Grok release.
(instead of a new grokproject release)

Recipes have a bit of a special status - this varies during installation
time, not run-time. I never quite figured out what the right thing is to
do for those. :)