[Grok-dev] debug.ini breaks the admin ui

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Apr 18 07:11:00 EDT 2009

Hi there,

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
[snip]
> However, wasn't that exactly the problem - the
> exception-catching-middleware interfacing with zope has no way of
> declaring what exceptions *not* to catch?

As far as I understood there is at least middleware that allows this
option, but I don't know about the details. Maybe Christian Theune will
chip in; I just asked him.

> If I understood correctly it is actually a limitation in zope where you
> can only turn off zope's exception handling completely or have it turned
> on (this is actually something one can do in ftests as well, i.e. with
> the test browser, where one can say "browser.handleErrors = False" that
> gets passed on to zope).

Yes, it's quite possible the limitation is in Zope. I'm just complaining
until we fix it, *somewhere*. I don't have the expertise yet on this
topic to do other things than complain. :)

> In other words, the debug.ini complaints are directed to somewhat the
> wrong party - even though I agree the enduser experience is bad and
> should be improved; maybe should remove the debug.ini alltogether and
> first see the issue fixed in zope (and/or the exception middleware
> whatchamacallit).

One thing I noticed in a non-Grok project that used paster (based on
zopeproject) is that in order to see tracebacks anywhere I needed
debug.ini, but that wouldn't handle the exceptions right, and then
deploy.ini would be needed to actually handle the exceptions correctly.
This was a rather annoying situation so I hope we don't have this for Grok.

I'd also like there to be some easy way (without having to mess around
with .ini files straight off, just an .ini file already available) that
dumps exceptions to the standard out while it displays a simple system
error page in Zope. At least for me I find that a quite familiar and
useful way of working and I still get somewhat confused when a debugger
kicks in and stops everything, for instance. :)