[Grok-dev] testing apps with grok-1.1a1

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 03:17:54 EST 2009

Hi Tim,

Tim Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 12:59 -0800, Kevin Teague wrote:
>> On Nov 30, 11:40 am, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman <janwijbr... at gmail.com>
>>> I'd like to hear from you guys... :-)
>>>
>>> Are your apps running on grok-1.1a1, based on ZTK?
>
> I can't tell you right now if we are running on 1.1-a1
>
> I can tell you that for more than two years we have been monitoring
> Grok/Zope3 closely.
>
> While we would like to all things be perfect.   The fact is that
> different areas have different release numbers (even with ZTK)
>
> Our information model is at 1.0.2
>
> This makes no sense with the ZTK.  But then it shouldn't since it is
> language/platform agnostic.
>
> So my point is:
>
> The ZTk should be the ZTK-xxxx
>
> Grok should be Grok-xxxxxxx
>
> MLHIM/OSHIP should be 1.0b
>
> We cannot keep all of these things in sync. They vary far too much,

Uhm, I'm not sure this makes sense to me...

What grok-1.1a1 is, is quite well defined. And what versions it uses, is
quite well defined too - that is the whole point of a Grok release. This
definition is here:

   http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/grok-1.1a1.cfg

So, if your apps are referencing this same definition, your apps are
running on the 1.1a1 version of Grok. And if your apps run fine with it,
then that's great news. If they are not, then we might need to do some
work on the problem areas.

I agree that, ideally, there would be an official ZTK releases before we
have a final grok-1.1 release. But we're not there yet.

Whenever people aim for more stability (and rightfully so!), then there
is the grok-1.0 release. Individual projects can always amend the
versions list of grok-1.0 with their own versions list. And as long as
that's recorded in the project's buildout.cfg, than it provides the
necessary stability (in the sense that it cannot suddenly change).

Hopefully this makes things a bit more clear.

regards,
jw