[Grok-dev] libraries to use with Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Dec 4 17:40:36 EST 2009

Kent Tenney wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Steve Schmechel wrote:
>>
>>> Also, is someone working on that "namespace collections" document?  If
>>> not, I am willing to format and publish that on the Grok site.
>> +1. I don't think we should go overboard with a document like that as
>> the namespace itself is often not that significant, but an overview
>> about what namespaces are floating around in our community would be useful.
>
> My impression is that the namespace implies an entity
> responsible for this code, and the difference between that
> entity being Zope Corp and Some Guy is significant to
> me as someone not familiar with the landscape.

Yes, it does have some meaning, but not too much emphasis should be put
on it. All this stuff is open source and something might be well
maintained or not. Knowing whether something is by by Zope Corp or Some
Guy has only limited value. Most of the namespaces I mentioned are
maintained in the Zope or Plone repositories, after all.

> Most major players have a web presence, so a link to that would be good,
> though what I always find most useful is others _experiences_, which was the
> thinking behind the suggestion regarding a wiki page per namespace.

There is no sensible web presence for namespace packages.

I think experiences are useful, but mostly make sense on a package
level, not on a namespace level. A namespace is only the vaguest of
branding.