[Grok-dev] libraries to use with Grok

Steve Schmechel steveschmechel at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 18:50:15 EST 2009

Are we possibly talking about two different things?
There was an idea about a list of particular "Useful Libraries"
and an idea about an "Overview of Namespaces".

Unfortunately, both discussions evolved in the same thread.

The spreadsheet I wish people to review has to do with "useful libraries".

The useful libraries document was not meant to be an index to all
possible code that could be used with Grok.  Quite the opposite; a
manageable list of libraries that have proven useful to those with
much experience building Grok apps, so that the rest of us can
benefit from that experience.

For most people using the libraries, the key information would be the
PyPI project homepage and package name so that they can add it to
their project's build out.  Most probably do not want to link to the
latest trunk code of a library.  If they want to see the source code,
they can peek in the downloaded eggs.

That said, a link to a repository would be nice, but you have to deal
with upkeep when projects switch VCS or hosts.  At least PyPI is fairly
static.

There is a namespace overview document at:
http://grok.zope.org/about/overview-of-namespaces

I don't believe this is intended to be an index of all code using a
particular namespace either.  That would be very hard to keep up to date.

Generally, the type of code and the people contributing it remain fairly
constant within a namespace.  This document is an overview of those facts.

While for Dolman.* all of the packages in the namespace probably could
be associated with one project homepage, that would not be the case
many others.  The links would end up being either trivial associations
that could be easily found with a search engine, or deep links into
large sites like zope.org which would be hard to maintain.

It just comes down to the fact that finding something by namespace
is by nature a hit-or-miss endeavor.
You might find a particular library or package that leads you to a
project website which lists some other related packages.

I think the namespace overview document is meant more for going in the
opposite direction; you encounter a package being referenced in some
code you are examining, and the namespace gives you some general context
of its origin and purpose.

It's more of a "tuck this away in your memory to improve future comprehension" type of document, than a exhaustive reference document.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound dismissive or discouraging.
Maybe others feel an exhaustive list with links would be useful also, so
feel free to gather support and make it happen.

For now, I am pretty satisfied with the context and experience I can
tap into using the current overview documents.

Regards,
Steve