[Grok-dev] grokcore view

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 15:50:03 EST 2009

Souheil CHELFOUH <trollfot at gmail.com> wrote:

> No, ViewSupport is fine, but, does not provide enough (in my opinion,
> for what it worths)
> Thing is : in view-ish component, we might also need security or/and
> static or/and namespace...
> What i'm trying to thing of, is a way to easily plug all these
> features, independently on components.

I think I understand what you're saying.

When I was working on the ViewSupport mixin I felt the current solution
- a mixin class - wasn't the most beautiful to get the methods and
properties defined in one placed and used in multiple components.

That's the reason why grok.View itself does not mixin ViewishViewSupport
to gain application_url(), but defines it itself - would it have mixed
in ViewishViewSupport as well, the class hierarchy would've been quite
awful.

Anyway, discussing this with Reinout irl didn't bring us any ideas
either, and I went with the current solution.

For you ViewSupport in a way does not provide enough, for me it kinda
does too much - I hardly use static and namespace for example. So a
better way to plug these features in and out would indeed be great.

(as an aside note, let's not experiment with this for the 1.1 release,
but yeah, any idea to improve this would be very welcome).

regards,
jw