[Grok-dev] buildout-generated config files in grokproject

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Thu Feb 5 15:18:53 EST 2009

Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> writes:

>   SampleProject/
>      + etc/  (now empty before running buildout)
>      + cfg_templates/
>           + README.txt (tells what purpose files in this dir have)
>           + deploy.ini.in
>
> Before finishing this task, I would like to know, what you think about
>
> * the template directory being placed in the project root (could there
>   be a better place?),
> * the name of the directory (could there be a shorter name?)

I myself would be tempted to place the templates under "./etc/" and then
the filled-in templates under "./parts/etc/", because otherwise you're
violating the practice that everything generated belongs under "parts".
I think that hiding the directory of generated conf files under "parts"
will make it much easier for newcomers to guess which file they're
supposed to edit when, say, their "debug.ini" needs to change.