[Grok-dev] megrok.chameleon template engine

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Feb 23 13:31:08 EST 2009

Hey,

[really cool, megrok.chameleon!]

Thanks for doing this work Uli! I really like all the activity
surrounding alternative template languages in Grok now. For a while I
thought the work at the Neanderthal sprint to support other template
languages was not really going to be used by anyone, as it was very
quiet surrounding the topic, but it looks like things are changing.

Uli Fouquet wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously Uli Fouquet wrote:
>>> It provides support for chameleon-driven Zope page templates and also
>>> for Genshi templates. Chameleon is the template engine also used by
>>> repoze.bft and it (chameleon) is said to be faster than regular Zope
>>> page templates.
>> By a factor of 12 currently if I remember correctly.
>
> Hm, currently I cannot reproduce such speedup. Maybe my implementation
> is really bad or we have a more general problem with template-handling
> in Grok/Zope.

It could be that non-template handling time is dominating in your test
application?

Anyway, I'd like to see lots more people doing lots more profiling with
Grok so we can track down issues like this and gain a better
understanding for where time is going now, and where we should spend
efforts to make things faster.