[Grok-dev] could we re-name grok.IRESTRequest to grok.IRESTLayer?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Jan 2 15:31:16 EST 2009

Hi there,

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
[snip]
> With a bit of reluctance, my proposal in an attempt to draw a conclusion
> and close the issue would be to:
>
>   * Rename IRESTRequest into IRESTLayer
>
>   * Add IViewLayer to grokcore.view.interface like so...
>
>       IViewLayer = IBrowserRequest
>
>     ...in order to keep backwards compatibility.
>
>   * Change the docs in grokcore.view (and grok) in order to explain to
>     use IViewLayer as a baseclass for layers.

I'm +1 with that, except I'm a bit worried that IViewLayer =
IBrowserRequest is *too* transparent. When you, say, print a layer
during debugging, it might not be immediately obvious. That said,
normally you'd print your own subclasses, so the problem wouldn't happen
very often I imagine.

I am trying to understand the backwards compatibility issues around
doing this:

class IViewLayer(IBrowserRequest):
     pass

People can *still* inherit their own layers from IBrowserRequest if they
should desire this, after all? What am I missing?