[Grok-dev] Installing 0.14.1 on Windows XP

Jeroen Michiel jmichiel at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 03:53:24 EST 2009

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman-3 wrote:

> [...]
> Maybe we can start such a document based on your report?
> [...]

Be my guest! :-)

I think having a document is the least effort, and is necessary, though most
problems can (should?) be solved, or addressed in some way in a future
release, I imagine.

We can sum them up as follows:
1) requirement for win32api
2) Spaces in paths while precompiling
3) non-binary writing in eggbasket
4) temp dir removal issue
5) (some warnings): perhaps these aren't windows specific

As for solutions, this is how I see it imho:
1) Not much to do about it, I figure, except mentioning in the docs. It
would be nice to have an explicit explanation how to get the win32api
running with virtualenv with the --no-site-packages option. Or is there an
egg somewhere for pywin32?
2) Seems an oversight somewhere that assumes paths have no spaces (as they
don't on Linux)
3) Simple bugfix
4) This is a Python issue, not something Grok specific, right? Perhaps
try/except the code, and drop the exception if you're on windows, or just
emit a warning instead
5) maybe fix the case issues

Thanks for your time!