[Grok-dev] grokproject generating configurations with absolute paths

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Mon Jan 12 07:57:17 EST 2009

Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> writes:

> is it intentional/reasonable to use absolute paths within
> configuration files generated by grokproject?

No; the configuration files (setup.py and buildout.cfg) should use no
configuration files whatsoever, and it is a bug we will fix if we
discover that they are doing so.

The binaries under "bin/", and some of the generated scripts and
configuration files under "parts/", might have some absolute paths
inside of them, but those aren't supposed to be version-controlled
anyway; they should be rebuilt by each developer doing the usual:

 $ svn co ...
 $ /my/correct/python bootstrap/bootstrap.py
 $ bin/buildout

You can probably guess how I learned this lesson myself. :-) Here's a
document I wrote up as a result; please let me know of any problems with
it, I'd love to update it to make it even more useful:

http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/placing-your-grok-project-under-version-control