[Grok-dev] Grok Configuration Documentation

Paul Wilson paulalexwilson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 06:09:00 EST 2009

Hi there,

I think that a tutorial explaining the Grok configuration phase
(grokking), the ZCML organisation and extending this system to
implement ones own grokkers would be a valuable complement to the
project's documentation. As a newcomer to Grok, the configuration of
components is a little bit 'magic' and hidden, which can prove a bit
of a barrier when wanting to do anything slightly advanced. Where do I
put my classes? How do I tie in new components of my own design? What
are these .zcml files for? Grok is itself built from grokkers and
components, so understanding gained here will benefit you twofold: you
can understand Grok code/organisation better and you can extend Grok.

I've had a go at trying to write something like this for my own
learning and understanding (it's difficult because the world 'grok'
and its various forms are very overloaded :-), and it's quite
lengthy). Do you think something like this would be useful for Grok's
documentation? If so, do you have any thoughts as to what sort of
information should be included or its structure?

Regards,
Paul