[Grok-dev] Exporting Apps

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Fri Jan 23 18:21:39 EST 2009

Currently there is no simple export feature. You have to write your
export and import code yourself. It is a bit tricky because you have
to serialise relations, handle annotations etc. you can't just pickle
the root object because you get circular references through the
context.__parent__ attribute. You also want the registration machinery
to kick in properly, so you probably want to recreate your objects and
manipulate them in a similar way to how they were originally created.
When you recreate the object structure you also have an issue with the
fact that containers aren't ready to accept content until somewhere
around the ObjectCreation-event. You have to update the containers in
a "two-way commit".

That said, it can be done, and it is bloody useful.

Mvh Sebastian