[Grok-dev] TypeError when adding an app from the tutorial

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:12:43 EST 2009

> What is wrong with the Grok release process that there are at least 4
> non-trivial errors that people will encounter just following the
> tutorial? Is Windows no longer a supported platform, or is Python 2.6
> the problem? In either case, can't we do something so other people
> won't run into these problems? I don't mean to offend anyone, it just
> bothers me that my attempt to get Grok used here may be sunk by these
> kinds of issues.

There's at least one issue here indeed: python2.6 is not supported at all.

I'm pretty sure it is mentioned that currently python2.4 and python2.5
are the supported platforms.

But of course you are right; it is very very annoying and not very
encouraging tp newcommers to have these install issues on Windows (at
least that seems to be the platform with the most issues at this
moment). This at least partially is a documentation problem that we as
a community need to improve on.

Thanks for reporting, and thanks for keeping trying.

(BTW, if you want to, could you have a quick look at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok to see if the issues you find have
been reported there yet? That would be great).

regards,
jw