[Grok-dev] versions.cfg handling

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Jul 7 06:05:57 EDT 2009

At the Europython sprint, I talked briefly with Martijn
about how to handle the versions.cfg files in the various
trunk packages.  The problem: several of the version.cfg
files in the trunk checkouts were different from grok's own.
That doesn't help development, right?

What we basically agreed upon for now:

* Just copy the versions.cfg from grok trunk when you
  develop on a grokcore.something package.

* Add a [versions] part in your buildout.cfg with
  "grokcore.something=" to undo version.cfg's pinning for
  the package that you're developing. For most packages,
  just these two points should be enough.

* Only needed if you depend on a freshly released
  grokcore.another package: don't change the version number
  in your local versions.cfg, but just add
  "grokcore.another=1.4.2" to the [versions] part.

Advantage: nothing is hidden in the versions.cfg. And it is
easy to find for someone making a release.  And the base
versions.cfg is easy to copy to make sure you're up to date.

I thought all packages have been touch up in this way by
someone at the sprint, but I'm not sure.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org
Software developer at http://www.thehealthagency.com