[Grok-dev] Grok sprint status?

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Jun 9 09:51:04 EDT 2009

On 2009-06-05, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It's time for someone to update us about the Grok sprint. As a sprint
> participant (for at least a bit of the sprint), I have questions like:
>
> * where can I sign up for it?
>
> * who else is going to be there?
>
> * is there a wiki page that describes what's going to happen?

One blog post coming up:
http://reinout.vanrees.org/weblog/2009/06/09/grok-europython-sprint.html

For ease of replying in case there are more questions, here's the text:

At `Europython 2009 in Birmingham <http://www.europython.eu>`_ there will be a
`Grok <http://grok.zope.org>`_ sprint.  **7 people have already registered**
for the sprint!

For those attending and those thinking about it:

- See the `Europython sprint wiki page <http://wiki.europython.eu/Sprints>`_
  for the list of participants.  If you want to attend **just add yourself to
  that list**, that's all there is to it.  Alternatively mail me at
  `reinout at vanrees.org <mailto:reinout at vanrees.org>`_ and I'll add you.

- The sprint will be on Friday 3 and Saturday 4 (July) after the main
  conference.  Suggestion: leave on Sunday morning, not Saturday afternoon
  when practical.  That way you get a full sprint day on Saturday and we get
  to hang out for dinner/pub/whatever afterwards.

- If you've got specific interests: put them on that wiki page (there's
  "megrok/z3cform" on there now) or propose it on the grok mailing list.
  Personally, I'm planning to help with whatever is needed for a 1.0 final
  release (and personally I think that has to be the main focus of the
  sprint).  There are some loose ends to tie up and some bugs to close.  I'll
  shout around on the mailinglist to get a proper overview of what needs
  doing.

- Sprint location: the conference organizers don't know where they're putting
  all of us sprinters yet, but they'll arrange the venue for all sprints
  listed on that page and the grok sprint has been on there for a month
  already.

- Administrative detail: if you don't have zope svn commit access yet, could
  you `try and obtain that
  <http://docs.zope.org/developer/becoming-a-contributor.html>`_ before the
  sprint?  Otherwise you won't be able to do svn commits.  Of course we'll
  pair program, so if you don't have access it is no problem.  A sprint is a
  good reason to try and obtain access, however: I've got access since the
  grokkerdam sprint :-)

> I shouldn't poke my nose in this as I'm sure it's all well under
> control, but I also have questions like:
>
> * is this sprint known to the europython people?

We're on the sprint wiki page for a month now and being on that page is the
only prerequisite.  I *have* emailed the organizers, though, just to make sure.

> * will there be reminders on this mailing list? Are announcements going
> to go out to the Zope community? The wider Python community? For the
> PyPy sprint I saw an announcement on lwn.net even.

My blog post ought to end up on planet plone+zope+python.  The python one has
some weird filtering, so I'm not sure about that.

I'll also send out an extra reminder in a week or so.

See a lot of you in Birmingham!

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org