[Grok-dev] grokproject configures z3c.testsetup instead of grok.testing

Steve Schmechel steveschmechel at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 6 20:18:37 EST 2009

Why does the latest grokproject (v1.0a2) when installing the latest grok (v1.0a1) set up a new project's test environment following the documentation that is for grok versions 0.12 and older?

I know the functionality both packages is similar and I realize grokproject can install older versions of grok, but should there be a limit or should it adjust what it creates based on the version specified?

Observations:

Setup.py has a requirement for z3c.testsetup and the initial tests.py file assigns "test_suite = z3c.testsetup.register_all_tests('music')"

Following the new documentation in:
http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/tests-with-grok-testing

it looks like the z3c.testsetup requirement could be removed from setup.py.  (It gets pulled in by some other dependency anyway - probably grok.testing.)

More importantly, the tests.py stub can be simplified to match the newer documentation.

It goes from:

--Start--
import os.path
import z3c.testsetup
import sample
from zope.app.testing.functional import ZCMLLayer
ftesting_zcml = os.path.join(
    os.path.dirname(sample.__file__), 'ftesting.zcml')
FunctionalLayer = ZCMLLayer(ftesting_zcml, __name__, 'FunctionalLayer',
                            allow_teardown=True)
test_suite = z3c.testsetup.register_all_tests('sample')
--End--

--Start--
import grok
test_suite = grok.testing.register_all_tests('sample')
--End--

I don't claim to be an expert in the test framework, buildout, or grokproject so I may be missing something really critical here.

It does makes it easier to learn or teach grok when the code is simple and it matches the documentation.

Regards,
Steve