[Grok-dev] unique item in container question

Steve Schmechel steveschmechel at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 11:02:37 EDT 2009

Just to be clear about this:

*** Knowing Zope3 is not a "prerequisite" for using Grok! ***

Yes. Grok helps Zope3 developers by "Smashing ZCML".
At times, you will have to become familiar with a Zope3 component in order to use that component properly.

However, Grok also wants be "more approachable and easier to learn", so I don't think we want to give the impression that you have to go away and learn Zope3 first.

We should always take the initiative to point to the necessary Zope3 documentation in the Grok documentation.  (It is often hard for a new developer to find what they need in the scattered Zope3 documentation.  I know I was lost until I got Phillip's book.)

I think the Grok documentation is starting to do this and as the tutorials and how-to's continue to develop, it will get easier.

I'm not trying to admonish or preach about this.  I just want to make sure that Grok continues to welcome non-Zope developers.

Quotes from the Grok home page:

- Grok is a web application framework for Python developers. It is aimed at both beginners and very experienced web developers.

- While Grok is based on Zope 3, and benefits a lot from it, you do not need to know Zope at all in order to get productive with Grok.

Regards,
Steve