[Grok-dev] How to use auto-forms to quickly handle nested objects

Steve Schmechel steveschmechel at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 22 10:02:04 EDT 2009

Hi Tim,

I did see your tutorial and I will be using some of the techniques you explained.

However, location and mammoth, while represented by different model objects, have a one-to-one relationship.

I'm thinking of something more like a location history.  A one-to-many relationship.  Where, for a particular mammoth, you have notes about when and where location changes occurred.

While being able to see a summary of the history within the mammoth page would be nice, at this point I just want a way to work with the model objects in a browser interface.

Also, imagine that a mammoth had "location history", "feedings", "wool sheering history", etc.  Adapting all of these objects into one view might become cumbersome.

Maybe, I am thinking too relationally.  I am rather new to Zope3 and Grok.

This was the same problem I had with trying to use Plone for an application where a hierarchical arrangement of content pieces exists:

- Folders can contain various types of content or other folders.
- A content object can not directly contain other content objects or a folder.
- Folders don't provide content fields.  (At best a folder URL can appear like one by substituting a default content object.)

You end up putting all the sub-content of a given type in a separate folder and then each object needs to query to find it's related objects based on a keyword or something.

Managing related content in different spots results in additional complexity.  Whenever you move or delete something, you have to query around and figure out what might be affected.

That is why I am hoping for simple "containment" of the hierarchy as a starting point.  That way deleting a mammoth will delete all the "feedings" and other information that goes with it.  This is easy to do in Python code.  I am just hoping there is a simple case for making the auto-forms follow such an arrangement.

Maybe there is some revelation that I have not experienced yet and I am handling this in completely the wrong way.

If there is a better way to handle hierarchical relationships, please enlighten me.

If I just need to face the fact that this will be tough and I am going to need to learn a lot about adapters and write a bunch of code to make this happen, then tell me the hard truth.

Thanks in advance,
Steve