[Grok-dev] Grok 1.0a4 released!

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Thu May 21 17:43:41 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 22:56 +0200, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:

> For installation instructions and much more on how to use Grok, see the
> Grok tutorial: http://grok.zope.org/doc/current/tutorial.html
> Upgrading
>
> It should not be needed to change your code to upgrade an existing
> project from 1.0a3 to 1.0a4.
>
> For detailed upgrade notes on this, see
> http://grok.zope.org/project/upgrade-notes
>
> If you want to use the paster support, please examine a project
> generated with the newest version of grokproject and update your
> project's buildout.cfg accordingly (and help us write better instructions!).
> We hope to hear from you!

Hmmmmm, okay.  I'll be a bit sarcastic here.  But it isn't meant to be
flamming or mean.  It is meant to be instructive.  From the website:

Upgrading to 1.0a4
      * There're no additional instructions for upgrading from 1.0a3 to
        1.0a4.

The last real upgrade instructions were from 0.14 to 1.0a1.

So (if I'm a new user and do not watch the mailing list/irc channel)
there is no difference between using 1.0a1 and 1.0a4.  So I have to ask
myself; what's the point?

Now, in reality I know that 1.0a3 had a broken versions.cfg, correct?
Or was that really the problem.....hmmm, I do monitor the mailing list
and am occasionally on IRC and even I'm not exactly certain.

So I have a project on my machine and I want to upgrade to 1.0a4 from
1.0a3  According to the instructions; I do nothing.  I guess it just
HAPPENS AUTOMAGICALLY (damn I knew Martian was cool but this is
awesome!).

But without the sarcasm, I think I need to replace my versions.cfg wiith
the new one and maybe edit my setup.py?

Then run python bootstrap and then bin/buildout.

Is this correct?  Something more / something less?

Thanks,
Tim

--
Timothy Cook, MSc
Health Informatics Research & Development Services