[Grok-dev] Wierd Thing: Grok Groping All Modules?

Michael Haubenwallner michael at d2m.at
Mon May 25 00:45:52 EDT 2009

Jeff Rush wrote:
> First, I decided to install grokproject -once- into the system Python,
along
> the same lines as virtualenv since they are both used once to -start- new
> projects but are not really an ongoing part of a project.  It avoids
the need
> to re-install grokproject for each project, which seemed odd to me, to
install
> and use something once, and then install and use it again once for the
next
> project.
>
>  $ sudo easy_install grokproject

If you already used Zope3 chances are that you now have a broken Zope3
library in your system python site-packages. The Grok tutorial has
detailed instructions on that topic.

>  $ cd /var/tmp
>  $ virtualenv --no-site-packages myproject

When installing grokproject with the system python there is no mor e nee
to use a virtualenv, especially using a virtualenv --no-site-packages
cuts you off everything installed into the pythons site-packages folder.

> I found the bin/paster line too long to remember so I selected the
option to
> mimic the traditional zopectl approach with which I'm most familiar.
>
>  $ grokproject --zopectl myproject
>  $ cd myproject
>  $ source bin/activate
>
> I don't see any "bin/projectname-ctl" script as you are using but
there is a
> "bin/zopectl".  Unfortunately it has the incorrect shebang line of
> "#!/usr/bin/python" instead of one pointing to the Python within the
sandbox,
> so I invoked zopectl with the correct Python:
>
>  $ bin/python bin/zopectl fg

"bin/projectname-ctl" is only created with the new paster based project
layout.

"bin/zopectl fg" should work ootb, as it is configured for the python
interpreter you installed grokproject with.

> And it then walked all my packages and gave me an exception traceback
when it
> hit the speechd package.  No idea why it is touching non-Zope packages.

Try again running somthing like:

$ grokproject --zopectl projectname
$ cd projectname
$ bin/zopectl fg