[Grok-dev] Neanderthal II possible sprint topics

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 03:31:46 EDT 2009

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I've written down some Neanderthal II sprint topics. Please discuss and
> add to this thread!

Ah, you beat me to it - I just sat in front of my keyboard thinking
about exactly this...! Anyway, thanks for the extensive write-up!

> Releases
> --------
>
> * We got to release Grok 1.0. I prefer to get that over with on day 1. A
> few people should review the issues and then release.

This is personally high on my agenda. I was slightly afraid people would
be more interested to think about post-1.0 coolness and forget about one
important thing: there's not post-1.0 coolness without a 1.0.. ;)

Anyway, yes, let's focus on this on day one and release.

> Dependency reduction
> --------------------
>
> * Take the Grok trunk and make it work with a version of the ZTK

As an side note: Jan-Jaap (who will attend the sprint as well) is
setting up a buildbot that tests the ZTK and whatever we can think of
that we want to have automatically tested.

> Security
> --------
>
> * Design how declarative attribute-level security declarations would
> look like in Grok

Yah!

> Templates & resources
> ---------------------
>
> * Investigate the use of hurry.resource as an official part of Grok
> proper. Also look at integrating z3c.hashedresource by default

Yah! We have some ideas for making hurry.resource more flexibly
rendering its HTML snippets. There's also been a little discussion in
#grok as well about integrating grok.DirectoryResource declarations and
hurry.resource declarations.

> * make it easier to provide custom JSON (de)serializers. I noticed it
> was harder than it should be to plug in datetime serialization code into
> Grok.

We have some experience with this - maybe we can compare different ideas
and strategies using JSON and Grok.

I'm very much looking forward to the sprint!!

regards,
jw