[Grok-dev] Zope SVN-URLs changed

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Wed Sep 9 09:34:15 EDT 2009

Hi there,

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> [snip]
> > Thank you Uli, i also changed the description at
> > http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Subversion/ReadOnlyAccess
>
> My understanding is that this is all based on a misinterpretation of
> Jens's message here:
>
>    This is a heads-up that affects anyone accessing the SVN repositories
>    using the svn:// protocol (so it does not affect anyone accessing SVN
>    over HTTP, or svn+ssh):
>
>    So far the svn service was run through xinetd. We had recurring
>    problems where either during really busy times or when too many svn
>    service processes hung for unknown reasons xinetd would refuse to
>    start more of them. This would lead to strange errors for people
>    accessing the service. To hopefully solve that problem, and maybe
>    solve the "hanging process" issues as well, I have switched to using
>    the svnserve process in daemon mode instead of using it through
>    xinetd.
>
>    If you do use the svn:// protocol (maybe directly, or indirectly
>    through a svn:extrnals definition, or for replicating the repositories
>    with "svnsync") and see any issues please contact me directly
>    off-list.
>
> That doesn't indicate to me at all that svn: URLs are breaking in any
> way... Besides, they still work just fine. What did I miss?

Right, that's the message I refered to. Looks like I misunderstood.
Sorry! On the other hand I had some troubles myself with a few read-only
checkouts which went away after switching to HTTP. Hm, strange.
Unfortunately I removed the old stuff so I cannot say, what URL I used
exactly. As others suddenly had update problems as well with existing
checkouts (which vanished immediately after the URL switch), I'll
recheck that.

Best regards,

--
Uli