[Grok-dev] Neanderthal II possible sprint topics

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Sep 11 08:49:54 EDT 2009

Hi there,

Souheil CHELFOUH wrote:
> About the possible topics, I'm concerned into bringing more consistency
> into all the grok related packages (grokui.admin, for instance),
> concerning the events and the pluggability of the components.

> In Grok, we lack many events in our application life cycle to be able to
> plug custom tools. For instance, IObjectCreatedEvent is not called on
> the application on creation. Also, if you want to do operations at the
> application creation that uses the Catalog or the IntIds, you can be
> stuck because of the order the events are fired (if you want to populate
> your application when you create it, for instance, the IntIds utility
> might not be registered yet and therefore your objects are not
> registered there) . We need more comprehensive hooks on this side.

That sounds cool. What I think would be interesting also is to think
about a minimal admin application with minimal dependencies: just enough
to get something installed but without pulling in the introspector and
all that it depends on. We could extract this from grokui.admin, I hope.
Perhaps we can also explore command-line approaches for installation,
which might be convenient for server deployment (where you'd preferably
not have grokui.admin there).

Years ago we discussed the model where the application is the top-level
of the URL space, instead of having a special step in the middle where
the application can be installed. I still think that Grok should support
the more flexible use case, but I think we should at least explore how
we might be able to make that work. Something like Django supports
multiple applications (at least so they call it) in a larger app -
perhaps we can investigate that model.