[Grok-dev] Grokproject error for first time Windows users

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Thu Feb 18 12:58:56 EST 2010

Hi Steve,

Steve Schmechel wrote:

> There is a rather hidden problem with Grokproject that occurs when
> running it for the first time under the Windows OS without the win32api
> module being available.  It can also occur when win32api is available in
> the system Python site-packages, but the user is working in a virtual
> environment created using "virtualenv --no-site-packages".
>
> This is related to the fix applied for the bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/315223
> Which addressed problems with Window paths with spaces.

[snip]

>   ImportError: No module named win32api
>
> Would it be possible for Grokproject to check for the availability of
> the module and either output a sensible warning to the user, or possibly
> easy_install pywin32 to satisfy its own requirement?

Sure, at least it's possible to check for win32api availibility. I'm not
sure, however, whether we really need win32api here, only to create a
path.

> The people that are likely to run into this will be first time users of
> grokproject and buildout, so it will probably be a source of continuing
> confusion and questions until the virtualenv developers start to handle
> this upstream.
>
> Should I file a bug report on this?

That would be kind. We can discuss the issue further on launchpad then.

Many thanks for looking into this and the accurate problem description!

Best regards

--
Uli