[Grok-dev] rookie Grokker notes

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 13:53:21 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Vincent Fretin <vincent.fretin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:28 AM, J. Cameron Cooper <jccooper at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm a long-time Zope/Plone guy, but I'm starting my first real project
> with
> > Grok. I figured I'd publicly document problems I've had getting started;
> > hopefully they can be fixed and avoided, and at least they'd be
> > discoverable. I'm not exactly a naive user, but I do have fresh eyes, so
> > probably I can be of some help streamlining new developer startup.
> > Item 1: getting a traceback for errors.
> > Default config is to show a simple "system error" message. Unlike Zope 2,
> > tracebacks are not shown on the console, nor--so far as I can tell--in
> the
> > logs. (I'm not entirely certain about the Grok logging system, so tell me
> if
> > I'm wrong; but, none of the log files extant had anything.)
> > You can get a TTW traceback if running the debug.ini. This is, however,
> not
> > easy. Requires a config change and a re-buildout. Also, it still doesn't
> go
> > to the console or logs.
>
> What about
> bin/paster serve parts/etc/debug.ini
> ?

I do use that form on Windows, where, apparently, the ctl script doesn't
work. I've been using it on Linux because I figure it must exist for a
reason; I do see it loading up a lot of stuff into the Python path.

> I actually never used myroject-debug and myproject-ctl in the newest
> grok buildout. :)

Okay, so why (I ask as a naive user) do the startup scripts exist? They do
other things, I suppose. And they also allow plugging into init.d--or would,
if they weren't dependent on being run in a particular directory (which is
another complaint I have.)

Whatever magic command that's needed is fine (and the paster way also lets
you slip in, say, --reload easily as well) but I really don't know which to
pick, as a theoretical novice. There really should be a normal recommended
way of doing things that lets you do the things you normally need to do.

I've dealt with all of this already, so I don't need it fixed for me, but it
has cost me time that it needn't, and other folks might be more frustrated
than I.

        --jcc
--
J Cameron Cooper