[Grok-dev] ztk.cfg and zopeapp.cfg for Grok (zope.app free Grok)

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jan 5 14:15:39 EST 2010

Hi there,

I've reorganized the ZTK SVN somewhat to support the separation between
ztk.cfg and zopeapp.cfg.

http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/zopetoolkit/trunk/ztk.cfg

http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/zopetoolkit/trunk/zopeapp.cfg

I recommend we update Grok's buildouts to use these lists.

There are two possible scenarios I see for Grok.

1 step transition:

Grok 1.1: transitional release for Grok. Grok lost dependency all
zope.app.* packages, and is just importing from zope packages. We offer
zopeapp.cfg to users who need to upgrade their imports and still have
their code working. Once they're done, zopeapp.cfg can be safely dropped.

Grok 1.2: Grok is released without any zopeapp support. Users who want
to upgrade will have to go through Grok 1.1.

2 step transition:

Grok 1.1: First transitional release. Still some dependencies on
zope.app.* packages that we couldn't lose yet. We get very busy porting
more code into zope.* or Grok itself where needed.

Grok 1.2: Second transitional release. No more dependencies on
zope.app.* packages. We do offer zopeapp.cfg as transition support to
help users migrate away their last imports.

Grok 1.3: Grok without any zopeapp support. User who want to upgrade
will have to go through Grok 1.2, possibly Grok 1.1 as well.

Our goal should be to make Grok as free of zope.app.* imports as we can
make it. If that looks difficult, please report it here and we'll
discuss it.