[Grok-dev] ztk.cfg and zopeapp.cfg for Grok (zope.app free Grok)

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 03:20:33 EST 2010

Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> 1 step transition:
>
> Grok 1.1: transitional release for Grok. Grok lost dependency all
> zope.app.* packages, and is just importing from zope packages. We offer
> zopeapp.cfg to users who need to upgrade their imports and still have
> their code working. Once they're done, zopeapp.cfg can be safely dropped.
>
> Grok 1.2: Grok is released without any zopeapp support. Users who want
> to upgrade will have to go through Grok 1.1.
>
> 2 step transition:
>
> Grok 1.1: First transitional release. Still some dependencies on
> zope.app.* packages that we couldn't lose yet. We get very busy porting
> more code into zope.* or Grok itself where needed.
>
> Grok 1.2: Second transitional release. No more dependencies on
> zope.app.* packages. We do offer zopeapp.cfg as transition support to
> help users migrate away their last imports.
>
> Grok 1.3: Grok without any zopeapp support. User who want to upgrade
> will have to go through Grok 1.2, possibly Grok 1.1 as well.
>
> Our goal should be to make Grok as free of zope.app.* imports as we can
> make it. If that looks difficult, please report it here and we'll
> discuss it.

I like transition 2 better. Why? Because we're again having multiple alpha
releases an no real release for Grok.

To me it is much more realistic to soon release 1.1 that got a long way, but
is not full there yet instead of working on it even longer and have more and
more alpha releases. But I digress, it basically just a version numbering
issue anyway. The real work is getting rid of zope.app.zcmlfiles.

I have to say that my first attempts to get rid of zope.app.zcmlfiles were
not very encouraging... it is muddy...

Anyway, we have to do it :)

regards,
jw