[Grok-dev] the ztk release and how that relates to Grok

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 08:09:08 EDT 2010

Hi,

As you know (or not know) I'm the representative for the Grok community
in the ztk-release-team.

In the last few weeks Hanno Schlichting (representative for Zope2) and
Christophe Combelles (representative for Bluebream) and myself have been
discussing and working on what a ztk release would look like and how it
would help each of the respective communities.

As a result of this work Hanno was able to make an ztk-1.0 alpha release
last wednesday!

The "official" announcement is here:

   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.devel/24738

If you want to read about all the details that the team discussed, you
can go here:

   http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/releaseteam/index.html

What does this release mean for Grok?

Well, in a way it doesn't change all that much for us. The practical
outcome of the release is a set of *.cfg files that pin all the versions
of the packages that comprise the ZTK.

Grok (and its family of libraries) have been depending on specific
revsions of the ztk for a while now already. So, my job now is to update
Grok (and its family of libraries) to use this particular alpha release
and report to the other members of the ztk-release-team whether is will
give us a working Grok. They will do the same for Zope2 and Bluebream.

I'm fairly confident this will give us working Grok without too much
trouble. The release team can then work towards a 1.0 proper that is
planned sometime at the beginning of september.

I will continue to help Hanno and Christophe towards a ztk 1.0 release
of course and after that in deciding how we will make bugfix releases
and feature releases of the ztk. With three frameworks that official
"consume" the ztk and maybe more to come, I think we helping giving it a
solid future.

kind regards, jw